Protecting Your Largest Investment
Regular vehicle and equipment maintenance is a must in the trucking industry and is critical to accident minimization, downtime, and missed freight opportunities. There are many factors that go into proper care of a fleet, all of which come together to ensure driver safety, compliance, and minimize company liability and costs.
KSM Transport Advisors’ Maintenance Assessment (MA) provides a comprehensive operational and financial review and analysis of a carrier’s maintenance and shop operations, including practices, policies, and costs. Analyzing all parts of a maintenance plan together helps carriers identify, manage, and reduce fleet maintenance expenditures to ensure their fleet is always safe and ready.
Personalized Solutions Based on Best Practices and Benchmarking
Our maintenance assessment offers customized recommendations to improve efficiency and reduce expenses in several key areas. It includes a tailored benchmarking report – based on the carrier’s actual maintenance costs – using our proprietary age band database of tractors and trailers to provide realistic benchmarking. Our assessment then uses your current maintenance practices and our best of class knowledge and experience to bridge the financial gap identified in the benchmarking report. Once the assessment is complete and the path forward is clear, KSMTA can assist with implementation by directly supervising the process or mentoring selected individuals and periodically reviewing accomplishments. Knowing what must be done is important, but savings are only realized when knowledge is translated to action.
KSMTA’s Maintenance Assessment evaluates:
- Facilities – locations, design, layout, orderliness, and size
- Personnel – roles, recruiting and hiring practices, training, skill assessment, and pay/benefits
- Technology systems – reporting, data tracking, scheduling, and asset management
- Maintenance processes – PM program, SOPs, repair stances, and best practices
- Shop operations – Work shifts, capacity/demand match, productivity metrics, and safety
- Tires – spec, mount/dismounting practices, inflation checks, and tire life management
- Parts – parts room layout, inventory management, and purchasing practices
- Operations/maintenance integration – cooperative efforts between departments
- Age-band cost model – comparative cost modeling of equipment costs to other fleets’ costs
Increase Efficiency, Reduce Costs, Protect Investments
The majority of mid-market fleets operating today would benefit from this detailed review. After exploring all the data, our MA clients are typically able to achieve a 5-10% reduction in their maintenance costs. A well-defined maintenance program is important to help catch problems early, speed up repairs, increase safety compliance, and decrease time, cost, and risk to keep a fleet running smoothly. Contact us to start your customized analysis.
We're Looking for
At KSM, you’ll be encouraged to find your purpose, exercise your creativity, and drive innovation forward.