Strategic Planning Positions Healthcare Organization for Future Growth
CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions (CICOA) is a not-for-profit agency focused on helping seniors and those with disabilities receive at-home care and remain out of institutional healthcare facilities. Serving eight Indiana counties that have a population of 2.5 million people, CICOA is the state’s largest Area Agency on Aging (AAA), a state-funded organization aimed at addressing needs and concerns of seniors.
CICOA faced three concurrent challenges: First, state funding is static despite an increasing population of seniors, requiring CICOA to continuously deliver more services with the same amount of funding. Second, Indiana is implementing Managed Long-Term Services and Supports (MLTSS) programs, which will base funding on results instead of population. Third, for-profit social-enterprise firms backed by venture capital studios are poised to enter the market, disrupting CICOA’s service delivery model and partner relationships.
To proactively address these challenges, CICOA engaged Katz, Sapper & Miller’s team of healthcare consultants to develop a detailed strategic plan. KSM took a collaborative and comprehensive approach, engaging constituents at all levels of the organization. The process included an internal assessment to understand CICOA’s goals, financial and operational performance, challenges, and opportunities. Concurrently, KSM conducted interviews with over 60 CICOA team members, governance and board representatives, and state regulators. A strategic planning retreat was held to process all relevant findings and solidify a series of strategies and recommendations.
The final plan included strategic concepts such as new products/services, potential partnerships, culture, and change management.
The KSM team also detailed out a tactical roadmap for implementation for each of the strategies.
Using the structure and strategies developed by KSM, CICOA has made significant strides toward realizing its objectives:
- Several new senior-focused products have been launched or are in the prototype stage.
- CICOA leadership regularly engages with state administrators to shape how MLTSS is implemented.
- Managed care entities have sought out CICOA’s help in changing their delivery model for seniors and preparing for MLTSS.
- Relationships with regional healthcare systems have grown such that CICOA provides embedded case managers to facilitate care transitions.
- Total revenue has increased as has the percentage of revenue that is non-governmental.
- Philanthropy funding has grown, enabling multiple innovation investments.
- A data maturity assessment has been initiated to evaluate then improve the IT/data infrastructure.
- A revised corporate structure is being evaluated to ensure regulatory compliance.
KSM has allowed us to both focus on the big picture and pay attention to the operational details. The strategies we jointly developed are helping us become not just a quasi-state agency but a true nimble and innovative social benefit organization.
-Tauhric Brown, CEO of CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions
Ready to get in touch with us about our healthcare consulting services?
The healthcare industry moves fast. We can help you implement innovative solutions that drive growth and prosperity.
We're Looking for
At KSM, you’ll be encouraged to find your purpose, exercise your creativity, and drive innovation forward.